#Factoftheday: 6055 migrants rescued on the sea route between Libya and Italy
- 6055 migrants were rescued yesterday on the sea route between Libya and Italy.
- This is one of the biggest rescue operation achieved in a single day.
- At least 22 of them died before ships arrived to save them.
- About 10 ships from the coast guard, the navy and humanitarian organisations took part in the operation, some of them operating up till 20 rescue operations that day.
- Libyan coastguard patrols intercepted three boats with more than 450 migrants trying to cross.
- Yesterday was also the third anniversary of the sinking of a migrant boat off Lampedusa in which 386 people died.
- The president of the Italian Red Cross, Francesco Rocca, said « Three years later and people continue to die in their thousands – nothing has changed. Indifference is killing people. »
- Around 132000 migrants have arrived in Italy since the start of the beginning of 2016 and 3054 have died.
- Most migrants leave from Libya where smugglers are acting with impunity thanks to the political chaos and insecurity reigning in the country.
#Factoftheday 24/07/2018 – Italy will allow migrant rescues ships to dock until the new EU policy on distribution will be reached #FactOfTheDay 02/07/2018 – New shipwreck in Libya, migrants’ boat flips #FactOfTheDay 04/09/2018 – Chaos in Libya #Factoftheday 06/06/2018 – Italy finally has a government! #FactOfTheDay 21/09/2017 : UN General Assembly: Italy is and wants to be a host country
Articles de nos partenaires
16 h 00 min 13 Juin 2018
12 h 00 min 11 Avr 2018
17 h 00 min 23 Mar 2018
Nos derniers #FactOfTheDay
11 h 18 min 24 Sep 2018
13 h 41 min 20 Sep 2018