- 6055 migrants were rescued yesterday on the sea route between Libya and Italy.
- This is one of the biggest rescue operation achieved in a single day.
- At least 22 of them died before ships arrived to save them.
- About 10 ships from the coast guard, the navy and humanitarian organisations took part in the operation, some of them operating up till 20 rescue operations that day.
- Libyan coastguard patrols intercepted three boats with more than 450 migrants trying to cross.
- Yesterday was also the third anniversary of the sinking of a migrant boat off Lampedusa in which 386 people died.
- The president of the Italian Red Cross, Francesco Rocca, said « Three years later and people continue to die in their thousands – nothing has changed. Indifference is killing people. »
- Around 132000 migrants have arrived in Italy since the start of the beginning of 2016 and 3054 have died.
- Most migrants leave from Libya where smugglers are acting with impunity thanks to the political chaos and insecurity reigning in the country.