North Korea broadened its threat to cancel President Trump’s upcoming nuclear summit with Kim Jong-Un, though the United States downplayed the sudden uncertainty. Kim Kye-gwan, North Korea’s deputy foreign minister, warned on Wednesday that Pyongyang was not interested in talks that would pressure the rogue state to “unilaterally” give up its nuclear program, taking aim at “unbridled remarks” by John Bolton, the US national security adviser, and other high-ranking White House officials. Washington says nothing has changed after the announcement. The State Department confirmed it is still preparing for the June 12th Trump-Kim meeting, and the Pentagon says the military drills will continue.
Meanwhile, North Korea has already suspended talks with the South because of the “Max Thunder” joint military exercises between Seoul and the United States. This is why Pyongyang had already asked to cancel the summit scheduled for June 12th between Kim Jong-Un and US President Donald Trump. The leaders of the two Koreas had planned for tomorrow a meeting at the border, in the House of Peace but according to the news agency Yonhap the summit is canceled. The summit was planned after the peace agreement of last April 27th 2018. But the US State Department spokesperson, Heather Nauert “Let’s go ahead with the work to plan the meeting between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un”.
Maria Elena Argano
For further information:
Corriere della Sera Website: https://www.corriere.it/esteri/18_maggio_15/corea-nord-sospende-colloqui-il-sud-minaccia-far-saltare-incontro-kim-trump-fec0927c-5876-11e8-9f2b-7afb418fb0c0.shtml?refresh_ce-cp